Thursday 16 April 2009

Abbreviations

Abbreviations. What are they good for?

...

Absolutely nothing!

That's right. I was browsing the Ntreev forum once more in my free time and I couldn't look past threads like 'pangya acronyms', 'KK VS M' and 'Have the courses been mowed?'. I'm sorry, that last one was just too stupid to ignore -_-; I don't understand what problem people have with words. Beautiful long words with actual meaning.

Just why do people need abbreviations in Pangya? You don't have to pay any money for each letter you type so why don't you take advantage of it and type as much as you can! It's not like you don't have any time either because while you wait for your opponent to make his move you often have plenty of time. In tournaments I don't see the need to talk unless you are trying to smalltalk with 29 other people at the same time.

Here are some examples:

  • psq: Player Square. What is a Player Square? Apparently people use this for the chatrooms where you can lounge or open up your shop. The word chatroom is too hard to use or so it seems. Let's say we do call it a player square, shouldn't the abbreviation be 'ps' then and not 'psq'. Obviously not because people would confuse it with 'playstation'. I'll stick with the word chatroom.

  • ppic: A missed Pangya. People use the sound a missed pangya makes as a word. I think that says enough. There is no such thing as a missed pangya because a missed pangya is a normal shot.

  • gg - ns - np - nt - ty: In order these mean 'good game - nice shot - nice putt - nice try - thank you'. These bother me to such an extent that I am in horror whenever someone uses them in-game. 'gg' reminds me of the command /gg in ragnarok which showed you a grinning face of doom so when someone says 'gg' I assume they're just laughing at my skills (or lack thereof X3 more likely). 'ns' does not seem too bad but I don't see why you can't just type out 'Nice shot'. 'np' as 'nice putt' is not right at all since 'np' is already a widely used abbreviation for 'no problem'. 'nt' is just weird because 'nice try' sound awfully demeaning and when someone says it I usually just think it means 'no thanks'. 'ty' is a general one. I accept it better than 'thx - thnx' but I still prefer people to simply say 'Thank you'.


I'll simply stop naming abbreviations here because they're already annoying me. I assure you I could go on for an hour explaining more than 50 Pangya abbreviations that are utterly useless in-game. Why is it so hard to type full words. I don't care if you think using some sort of screwed up code language is cool, all it does is make you look like a total analphabet. These abbreviations are on par with 1337-speak and combined with it people with an average IQ will lose all respect for you.

I hope I will be able to find some players who are as reluctant to use these terms as I am or it will be a lonely road for me. I am who I am and I'm not about to drop my IQ to make friends o_o;

*Friendly paw*
~Roselynn

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Pandalism - A Pangya Diary © 2009. By: Roselynn